Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Would Halifax Rather a Convention Centre or Stadium???

That was the question posed yesterday afternoon on twitter.... and wow, did we get a response from the twitterverse. Most of the tweeps were demanding a third option....

It’s pretty clear from the comments made by Central Nova’s PM and Minister of Defense Peter MacKay that the Feds were more interested in funding a stadium rather than a convention centre. However, the Chronicle Herald reports that the Feds will not provide funding for a sports stadium. Which surprised me since I thought MacKay was really interested in the stadium more than other politician. Apparently it’s against Harper’s values to help promote local infrastructure for sports (i.e. Funds for Quebec City arena), Megan Leslie’s and the NDP’s too. Meh.. I wouldn’t take it as direct rejection of Halifax plight as I would a political maneuver. Feds not wanting to give Quebec any ammunition....or cash.

What actually surprise me was most people wanted neither...

They think the money could be spent on something much more worthy such as Halifax Metro Transit System. I agree…. But let’s get real.... I honestly believe the city is oblivious to the fact that something needs to be done about the state of the bus system in this city. Well, it’s either that or they’re incompetent and they don’t know HOW to fix it. I mean, it amazes me that they can put a man on the moon yet they can’t get the #17 to run on time??? Absurd! Then Councillors complain about how nobody takes transit, how people aren’t choosing the “green alternative”.... sigh....

Dear Peter Kelly, If Metro Transit was actually reliable then more people would take it. It’s not rocket science....

Although one tweep suggested that we buy a space ship rather than fund a stadium.... could space travel be the greater investment for our future? Mars anyone??

Okay, I’m done... Sorry about that rant.

My argument for a stadium stems from the fact that Halifax is in the running to be the host of the Women’s FIFA World Cup. The only problem is that we do not have a venue. Okay, I’ll admit it. It’s not really that great of an argument. It’s just that Moncton has a stadium and we don’t. AND they get all the good concerts and we don’t.... It’s just not fair!! (Stomp! Stomp! Stomp!)

Oh, opps... sorry I forgot about the convention centre.... I’m no expert on the matter and truthfully I don’t fully understand all the ins and outs of the plans but I’ve yet to hear a logical explanation to why Halifax need a big new convention centre. And...if the government is going to drop money on it, then we should at least own a major part of it. From what I understand, the city is going to be the biggest losers in that deal. What would the city want the old World Trade Centre for? Why are we being forced to buy it from the province? For all of us tax payers in Halifax, it’s like we’re selling one crappy building that nobody wants to ourselves. How is this a good deal for Halifax? It makes no sense to me. Also, I’m not happy about just give free money to companies or contractors in hope that they provide a service that will be of economic benefit to the region... If they thought it was such a great opportunity why do they need government monies? Hey, didn’t we learn anything from the Yarmouth ferry debacle. Psst...They are going to want more money....

No comments:

Post a Comment