Wednesday, January 25, 2012

In The Dead Of Winter

Winter. That's right, I said the "w" word. When you think winter in Nova Scotia, what comes to mind? Snow, dark cold nights, blinding storms? What about music? Did you know that every year during the last weekend of January, a music festival is held?

In the Dead of Winter was founded by Heather Gibson, Jill Barber, Rose Cousins, Jenn Grant and Amelia Curran. Over the years, the organizers have changed but the goal remains the same. Bringing together various acoustic artists to help showcase their genre and give them the chance to perform to a wider then normal audience in a professional setting.

This year's festival is going to be taking place from January 25 - 28 at various venues throughout Halifax. While the festival does welcome all ages, please note that some venues are 19+. For additional venue and ticket information please see

While I would love to take in all the shows, this year I'm limiting myself to artists who's work I'm unfamiliar. Some shows I hope to check out are:
Breagh MacKinnon
Mo Kenney 
Dinah Thorpe
Repartee
Modern Men
The Moonshine Ramblers
These Hands


Is there anyone else in the line-up I should look into?

No comments:

Post a Comment