Saturday, November 10, 2012

This Fish

It's dinner time...and do you know where your seafood came from? Being from Nova Scotia, it's never something I put much thought into. The lobster, came from uncle Donnie's brother in law, the mussels from the brother in-law's cousin, the crab, why the cousin's girlfriend's father from up in Judique of course. Now as an adult living on my own, away from those connections, it's something I've started thinking about.

While I don't subscribe to the 100-mile diet,I do try to eat locally when ever possible. I like knowing where my food comes from. I use the term "where" loosely. I know the fish I buy comes from Nova Scotia. Could I tell you the where or how it was caught? Nope.

 Thisfish, an initiative of Ecotrust Canada, lets you do just that. Fisherman and seafood business on the east and west coasts are able to tag their catches with a unique code that allows  the consumer, to learn a little more about their seafood. Once you enter the code on Thisfish, you get information on the "who/what/where/when and how of  your dinner. Currently 200 lobster boats in Atlantic Canada and several west coast fishing industries are participating in Thisfish.

I first learned about Thisfish, back in October when a friend's haddock dinner came with a code. Being of the crackberry generation we quickly brought up the site. We learned that the haddock on her plate had been caught Oct 1. Near eastern Georges Bank and processed in Middle West Pubnico. My friend is originally from Digby and has always raved about the seafood from that area of the province. She was right, it was delicious. A big thanks to Martin d'Entremont, Inshore Fisheries ltd and A.C. Covert Distributors and the chef for a great piece of fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment